|Double Eagle Mine (Churchill Co.)|
N39.26036 W117.87829 - Eastgate, NV QUAD
|VISITED||We Visited: February 14, 2015
Our Breakfast: Omlettes at Middlegate Station
Our Supper: Hamburgers at Cold Springs Station
|DIRECTIONS|| Head east from Fallon on U.S. 50 for 52 miles to the junction of NV 722; take 722 and continue east over Carroll Summit for 7.7 miles; turn right (south) on local dirt road for 16.6 miles; turn right (west) on local road for about 1.0 miles.
From Fallon: 77.3 miles
Folks started earnestly poking around these hills in the early 1900's. E. W. Baker made the first locations in 1906. According to Vanderberg in 1939, The Gold Ledge Group, as it was then called, was worked intermittently by small groups until the Monarch Gold Ledge Mining company got serious about it in 1934. They even erected a small 50-ton mill nearby to the north west, but things didn't work out and the equipment was sold in 1939. At one time there was a 7 x 6 inch Sullivan air compressor belt driven by an automobile engine, a West Coast 5HP gasoline geared hoisting engine, a cabin for four men, and a blacksmith shop.
MONARCH PEOPLE WILL INSTAL NEW MACHINERY
Running lately on one shift because of a shortage of water, the fifty-ton amalgamating-concentrating mill of the Monarch Mine Company started again yesterday on a two shift basis. Ore is hauled in motor trucks four and a half miles from the mine high above the elevation of the mill and from the crusher is elevated to the fine-ore bin passing to a Hardinge ball mill in closed circuit with a Dorr Simplex classifier thence over two almalgamating plates through two Pierce amalgamators and over a concentrating table.
SHAFT ON DAN TUCKER
MILL REPORTED FOR PEAVINE MOUNTAIN
A pleasant drive but you really should have a high-clearance vehicle just in case. You're up in the trees here, and watch the road conditions. Someone up here was very busy, and there are some remains of various buildings and workings.