|Gold Park (Nye Co., Lander Co.)|
N39.14171 W117.54036 - GOLD PARK QUAD
|VISITED||We Visited: 3/21/2015
Our Breakfast: Jerry's In Fallon
Our Lunch: Top Gun in Fallon
|DIRECTIONS|| Head east on U.S. 50 for 50.2 miles to the intersection of the old Lincoln Highway (SR 722) ; continue east on SR 722 for 23 miles; turn right (south) onto local dirt road and head generally south east on NF 113 for 9.8 miles.
From Fallon: 83 miles
Straddling the Nye and Lander County lines, gold was discovered in 1864 and mining and milling was carried out well into the 1940's, but there were never any major activity here, despite attempts to drum up enthusiasm. Victor Kral describes the property in his 1951 report:
The Jackson District lies on the west slope of the Shoshone Mountains and borders the Lander County line. As per Thompson and West, gold ore was first discovered here in 1864 by Thomas Barnes and the district was organized as the North Union. In 1878 it was reorganized as the Jackson. In the early days the district was also known as Barnes Park after the park-like amphitheater about 2 miles wide, near the edge of which the claims were located. The Gold Park group which includes the Arctic, Star of the West, and San Francisco patents has, as per Lincoln, a reputed but unrecorded production of $500,000 to $1,000,000. Early recorded and recently known production totals $18,000. The property became involved in litigation in 1911 and very little production has been made since then.
Alvin L. Nelson of Gabbs and Walter F. Bowler of Fallon are the owners. Discovery of the property was made in 1880 by Frank Bradley 'and others who sold to the Nevada Mining Company. This company erected a stamp mill which they operated but a short time. In 1882 they recorded a production of $12,787 from 1,353 tons. In 1919 Robert S. Todd took over the property and organized the Star of the West Mining Company. He installed a 50-ton mill in 1921 which made a trial run only. In 1927 the present owners purchased the patented claims at tax sale and have made only minor shipments since then.
Improvements at the Gold Park group consist of several buildings, and car and tracks at the Arctic. The War Eagle mine, owned by Alvin L. Nelson of Gabbs, is at an elevation of 8,500 feet and lies on the south slope of the ridge separating the Gold Park basin from Willow Creek to the south. Water is obtained from small springs about three-quarters of a mile below the mine. Nelson and others worked the property intermittently during 1934-1941 and as per his records have mined 600 tons valued at about $15,500. The mineralization is principally gold and silver.
A group of claims commonly referred to as the Last Chance, owned by Steve Diemoz of Austin, lie from one-half to 1 mile southeast of the War Eagle at an elevation of about 9,000 feet. Intermittent work was done on these claims during 1933-1939. A few shipments were made and some ore treated in a small mill formerly on the property; however,. no production records are available.
The Grey Eagle group, commonly known as the old Bill Boyd property, lies just south of Willow Creek and about 2 miles southwest of the War Eagle. The present owners, R. J. and C. B. Lofthouse and Jack Mullen, relocated the property in 1945. The ore is said to contain gold and silver with some lead occurring as veins in andesite. The workings consist of one 150-foot adit and several shallow shafts and cuts. No known production has been made from the property.
-Mineral Resources of Nye County, Nevada, University of Nevada Bulletin, Vol. XLV January 1951 by Victor E. Kral
Some news articles from the Reno Evening Gazette show the attempts to "pump up" interest in the area, and document some of the activity there.
1882, June 19
1882 October 18
1882, December 19
1905 August 10
1906 August 15
1907 September 21
1908 August 15
1919 October 30
1929 October 18
Gotta give 'em credit, though- they just keep on digging and scratching hoping to find The Big One....
1930 September 23
1932 May 3
1941 December 31
GOLD PARK HAS PROSPECTS FOR STABLE OUTPUT- District Pioneer Is Planning To Ship In Spring
|POST OFFICE|| 14 December 1897 - 27 January 1899
14 February 1921 - 28 February 1925
There's not much left in Gold Park except for the remains of the mill near the Star of the West Mine, whose remains are impressive. There is a crazy crow that lives at the mill who does not like anyone visiting without calling first, and even then he'd rather be left alone. There are a few collapsed buildings between there and the town site, and closer to the town site, there are the remains of a few rock alignments or walls. There is much scattered debris but nothing to really indicate there was a mining cap here. The Star of the West mine appears to be one of the most if not the most worked mines here, as the tailings were prominent. But there are several other mines and cabins worth looking at on the way up to Gold Park. Did not spot the site of the original mill, which is supposed to be north of town. Saw what appeared to be some tailings on the west side of the beginning of the canyon that might be the spot. The complex at the Sunday mine is particularly impressive with several cabins in various states. Recommend 4WD or a high clearance vehicle as the road can be rocky in places. Lots of well-marked Forest Service roads with sign posts, if you are lucky enough to have a Forest Service road map.