N38.91482° W117.58907° USGS Ione Quad
We Visited: April 19, 2014
From Fallon: Take Highway 50 E for about 47 miles; turn south on SR 361 for 29.7 miles; turn east on SR 844 for 20.2 miles; head east up Knickerbocker Canyon for about 1.3 miles.
After the Civil War, a large mill was built in this canyon to treat ores from neighboring mines and a small camp was developed by the people working here. The mill closed in 1875 and in 1898 the machinery was moved to the mill at Berlin. $130,000 was spent building the mill, about $2,038,800 in 2012 dollars.
Very impressive ruins. The mill was quite large and its white rock stands out from the dark rock of the canyon. There are some rock ruins of cabins east of the mill as well.