40° 9' 38" N, 116° 5' 53 " W - Mineral Hill quad
|VISITED||April 27 , 2013
Our Breakfast: Omlettes at the Toiyabe Cafe , Austin, NV
Our Supper: Bacon-wrapped Chorizo at Hickison Summit
|DIRECTIONS|| From Fallon, east on US 50 for 177 miles; north on Highway 278 46.3 miles; right on dirt road for 5 miles.
From Fallon: 228.3 miles
Silver was discovered here in 1869, and soon after a stamp mill was erected and the population boomed to about 500 people. Stores, a school, a bakery, saloons, and even a brick yard were all established here, but by 1872 only a handful of people remained. Intermittent mining and milling operations continued until the early to mid 1900's.
We learn from Dr. M. R. Chamblin that the man recently injured in the Mineral Hill mine will recover. His name was Fred Ball and he was, at the time of the accident, running car. He fell from the platform, breaking one of his left ribs and injuring the lung by the fractured bone [Eureka Sentinel]
MINES AND MINING
Mineral Hill Is One Of Revived Early Districts
RICH OLD MINES IN MINERAL HILL AREA PURCHASE
|POST OFFICE||May 9, 1871 - March 1, 1873|
Very easy to get to the site. There is a tremendous amount of debris, glass, cans, and metal marking the site. Up from the town site there is a grove of trees which were obviously planted, since they're all in neat rows. Couldn't tell what kind they were. Many foundations and mill ruins mark the site. There is a nice little graveyard SW of the site, but it looks like a fire came through at one time and there are only bits and pieces of wood left from any graves built of wood. A large brick chimney still stands S of the town site.