|DIRECTIONS||From Tonopah, turn E onto US 6 for 75.2 miles; turn left on dirt road and head gernally north and then NW for 17.1 miles.|
The Morey Peak District was first discovered in 1865 and was worked rather consistently up to 1891, and then again in the 1930's and '40's.
Less brief, but still scanty:
In 1865 prospectors from Austin came and discovered rich ore only six miles from Moore's station. THe camp formed in 1869, and in 1874 a ten stamp mill was built that only ran for two months. By then, population was around 95, and there was a post office, two stores, a blacksmith, livery stable, express office, and a boarding house. A daily stage ran to Belmont and Eureka. But by the next year, most people had left. Activity blossomed again in 1880 with the mill operating again. Population hovered around 30, but by 1905 the district was almost totally abandoned. A landslide caused by nearby atomic testing wiped out parts of the town during the 1950's.
-Preserving the Glory Days, Shawn Hall
L.A. Dochez reports that the mines in the Morey District, Ny county are turning out very rich ore, and that the mill which is being put up will be ready to run by the 15th of October. Several new ledges, of which the croppings assayed into the hundreds, have been located by Mr. D., which joined to the 19 mines already developed by the Morey Mining Company, will keep the mill in lively operation.
|POST OFFICE||November 15, 1872 - April 15, 1905|