38° 40' 42"N, 119° 07' 23"W - PINE GROVE SPRING quad
|DIRECTIONS||From Fallon, west on Highway 50 27 miles to Silver Springs; South on US 95A 33 miles to Yerington; South on SR 208 for 31.5 miles; SE on East Walker River Rd (aka Pine Grove Road or Highway 3C) for 10.2 miles; West on National Forest Road for 4.9 miles. About halfway up the road forks- take the right fork- it's flatter and smoother. From Fallon: 84 miles|
Captain Fremont had been stumbling around this area as early as 1844- it's said he saw his first pinenuts in the area. Paher mentions that the camp was at one time named Wilsonville, after the founder William Wilson, and was renamed Pine Grove two years later. At one time close to a six hundred people lived here and the mills were shipping $10,000 in gold a month- but like most mining camps, the gold ran out, and the town died in the 1930's, although some mining activity went on until the 1960's.
Jack "Wovoka" Wilson, the Numu Paiute who helped popularize the "Ghost Dance" was informally adopted and raised by one of the founders of Pine Grove, and hid there occasionally when they went looking for him.
The first discoveries of gold were made on some outcroppings on the north side of the canyon at the town of Pine Grove in 1866 by William Wilson, a resident of Mason Valley. The WIlson mine covers the original location, and also about 80 acres of ground in the vicinity. For some years the district was called the Wilson, after its discoverer, but the name of Pine Grove was finally adopted from a grove of pinon tress, which the Indians visit annually to gather nuts. In 1869, according to Raymond, there were several arrastra and a 10-stamp mill in operation on oxidized ore, which ran from $30 to $90 a ton. The bullion produced at the time was said to be 0.917 fine. The Wheeler mine, on the south side of the canyon, about three-fourths of a mile out of town, was discovered shortly after the Wilson. In 1882 Burchard reports that both the Wheeler and Wilson mines were working ores between $50 and $60 in grade in amalgamating mills. The Wheeler mill had 15 stamps and the Wilson mill 10 stamps .A small cyanide mill still not in use in 1912 was still standing in the canyon just north of Sugar Loaf peak. It is said that a large quantity of the tailings from the Wheeler mine had been re-treated in this mill with considerable success.
Sometimes, the excitement was felt from far away!
A vein of gold was uncovered by a cloudburst at Pine Grove, Nevada, a week ago.
This was from back in the day, when there was no such thing as "alleged" criminal. Instead, you were convicted in the newspaper.
Just some newsy items....
Pine Grove Nevada has two women miners. They are good judges of or and are excellent miners, commanding four dollars per day.
The old Wheeler mine at Pine Grove, Nevada, is now being worked by lessees.
The Location of the Lincoln Ledge, Central Ledge, Mysthry Ledge is recorded in the office of District Mining Recorder of Wilson Mining District, at Pine Grove, Nevada.
FREE GOLD IN SHAFT AT PINE GROVE
A.M. Wishart returned to Yerington this week from Pine Grove where he is operating a lease on the Black Horse mine. With him he brought a quantity of quarts well sprinkled with free gold. He reports that his men have broekn into an ore shoot at the bottom of the shaft which is in the nature of a good sized vein, showing gold in the free for its entire width. The Black Horse is one of the original locations of the Pine Grove district. It had a history of big production up to a few years ago, when work was abandoned for a lack of funds to prosecute further development. It was never mined in a workmanlike manner.
The Wilson Leaching Company sent in a consignment of 550 pounds of gold dust from its plant at Pine grove, Nevada.
Pine Grove founder dies
Pine Grove sees some new action and investment
OLD PINE GROVE CAMP HAS AN AWAKENING
There is much activity at the old camp of Pine grove, about 25 miles south of Yerington,at the present time, and the old Wilson property, at that place promises to again be a producer that will be heard from. At the present time a telephone line from Pine Grove has been completed to connect with the line which runs from Yerington to River. The Pine Grov Mines company, the Fallon ranch, on the East Walker has also contracted with the Trucke River General Electric company for electric power, and this line is under construction from the Bluestone substation of the power company. The company is also grading a site for a 40-stamp mill and cyanide plant, and the material for these is going in by wagon from the railroad every three days. A pipeline has also been constructed from a fine spring a couple of miles to the southwest of the Grove, which furnishes an abundance of splendid water for all purposes. The mill will stand a short distance below the site of the old mill, which burned down over a year ago.
The brother passes
PINE GROVE MILL BEGAN OPERATIONS FRIDAY
Buildings and equipment consist of the following:
|POST OFFICE||September 1868- November 1912|
|NEWSPAPER||Pine Grove Observer, Pine Grove Burlesque, Esmeralda Sun , Pine Grove Chronicle, Pick and Shovel|
Pine Grove seems to be separated into roughly three sections. The first section you come to (from the east) is a large stone ruin with a sign. Then, the mill, and what appears to be some sort of school house- at least, that's what the floorplan suggests to me. And the far end are the remains of two other large wood frame buildings. Above the camp and to the north is the graveyard. The road continues west, then south, and east, to loop around through Rockland and back to the road again. It's a pleasant drive for high-clearance vehicles.
There are assorted dumps and debris scattered about, although not as much as I expected. There are signs of many drunken slobs and cretins camping, unfortunately- the remains of their stupid little fires, graffiti, and goings on are evident everywhere. May the curse of Pine Grove infest their bowels. Special Forgotten Nevada Correspondent Marc Conelly reports in March of 2013 that the recent fire has devastated the area. Sad face.