San Antonio (Nye County) We Visited: 5-27-2009
Our Dinner: Ribeyes at Peavine Campground!
38° 27' 39.9 "N, 117° 17' 37.1 "W   USGS San Antonio Ranch, NV Quad

Directions: East from Fallon on US-50 for 111 miles to Austin; continue east on US-50 for 12 miles then turn south on SR-376 for 70.6 miles; turn west on local roads and head generally WSW for 8.6 miles.

From Fallon: 190.2 miles

4WD or high clearance desired

What Was

San Antonio was an important stage stop between Middlegate and Belmont constructed in 1865 and improved in 1879. A small town grew up around the site, serving mines in the vicinity, chiefly the Liberty Mine about 10 miles to the South. It evolved into the San Antonio Ranch after the station closed in 1910.

Post Office: April 8, 1896 to July 14, 1906
Newspaper: None

What is

Older ghost town books mention the remaining adobe walls of the rather large Station standing by two poplars, but we didn't manage to locate anything other than the remains of the smelter and its bricks, and one small adobe wall attached to same, and the trunks of two very large trees that were cut down a long time ago. Could this be the remains of the station? Or has the station melted away entirely? Also nearby is the San Antonio Ranch, obviously occupied and used until very recently. We saw newspaper ads dated 2006, so unless people are bringing copies of Car Shopper with them and leaving them when they're done. we'll assume that's about when it was abandoned.

A mill is mentioned in other ghost town references but no mention of a smelter. The USGS map locates the "San Antonio Smelter" in the vicinity.

The ranch has several buildings standing; what appears to be an old school house, a mobile home of fairly recent vintage, a coupe of barn and generator out-buildings and tack room, an old house, and an older house. Lots of pipe corrals and fencing made with local sticks. Someone was trying to make a go of it but it's pretty bleak out here.

Remains of adobe and brick
I like how they went to the trouble of placing a tower on the building to make it look more like a real school house.
The remains of the water system.
Return to Previous Document | HOME