|Stateline (Iron co., Utah)|
|DIRECTIONS||From Modena, Utah: Head north on Modena Canyon Road for about 13 miles; head generally northwest for about five miles.|
First, a general overview of the camp:
Mining camps were made up mostly of single men, but enough families lived at Stateline in 1900 for a school to be started. Stateline flourished for several years as a mining town, complete with stores, hotels, school, a newspaper named the Stateline ORacle, and a medical doctor. The population was 118 in 1900 and peaked about 1903 with between 200 and 300 residents. A masquerade ball was the community's way of celebrating Thanksgiving in 1903 since, as the editor lamented, they had no place of worship where they could give thanks in a more appropriate way. Even in this far corner of the county, live music was played. The ball was not limited to local residents, as a great many attended from Fay, NEvada, a "sister" mining camp. The town was a mile long stretch of stone and false front buildings,some of which are still standing, as are the mills on the sides on the canyon. Ore values dropped in 1905 and most miners moved on. The names of many Stateline families filled the delinquent tax lists over the next few years. There were only 35 people in the Stateline precinct in 1910. Stateline is now a ghost town and the area the domain of stockmen.
The canyon was also used by cattle rustlers and other outlaws. They found it a convenient route to move their stolen Mormon cattle from Utah to Nevada where officials turned a blind eye to stray Mormon cattle brought in to feed the hungry miners of the Nevada mines. One such outlaw was Nate Hansen who was shot within a few hundred yards of the state line by an angry Mormon posse determined to get their cattle back before they could be sold.
Though small time mining started in 1894, it was not until 1896 that rich silver/gold ore was found in the shallow workings of the Ophir mine. This touched off a small stampede to the area and other major outcroppings were found to contain paying quantities of both silver and gold. The major mines included the Ophir, the Johnny, and Creole. The ore coming out of the Creole in 1899 was so rich that the ore dump was successfully panned by the company.
Stateline grew quickly from a small tent camp to a full fledged mining town. In 1896, the Intermountain Mining Review reported on July 9th that a new town site had been established and that town lots were being sold for $100 apiece. On July 16th they reported that there were twelve active mines in the district. Subsequently by September 24th it was reported that a post office had been established, over 180 men were working in the mines with more coming in daily, and that Line City contains 17 houses and more are being put up.
By 1903, Stateline had grown to a solid mining town of 300, with two or three general stores, a fine hotel, two saloons, blacksmith shop, shoemaker, restaurant, a daily stage to Modena on the railroad sixteen miles away, and its own newspaper, the Stateline Oracle. Several mills, for processing the ores from the Ophir, Johnny, Creole, and Big Fourteen mines were also erected in the surrounding area, close to their respective mines.
Extensive mining continued until about 1910 when many of the mines started closing because of a lack of high quality ore. Miners and business gradually drifted always until in 1918 there were only about18 individuals left in town carrying on small time mining in some of the lesser claims. Since about 1920 some mining has continued in the area with minor upswings in activity in the 1930s and 1940s. As late as early1980s limited mining was being done. In 1984, the small mill that sits prominently on the hill above the town was closed by the EPA for improper environmental procedures, closing the last mining operation in the area.
STATELINE'S STEADY PROGRESS
These kinds of stories continued despite more knowledageble opinions being offered.
And while smal discoveries of ore continnued, there just wasn't enough to make it worthwhile.
Mr. Wm. C. Reeves was appointed Register of Vital Statistics on Kanarra Precinct. The clerk was instructed to inform the State Board of Health that there is no one living at Stateline at the present time.
Stateline Mining Men Ask County to Improve Road
The population of Lund dropped from 191 in 1930 to 119 in 1940 and the Hamlin Valley precinct (including Stateline) dropped from 85 in 1930 to 15 in 1940 for the biggest decrease in the county.
|POST OFFICE||?? - 1938 ??|
Traveling north out of Deer Lodge, Luis's throttle stuck and by the time I caught up to him, we were across the border into Utah. This looked like an interesting site and it was so close to Deer Lodge - six miles as the crow flies-- we just had to examine it.