40°25′34″N 118°47′23″ USGS Seven Troughs Quad
We Visited: February
From Fallon: Take US 95 north for 32.9 miles; turn east onto I80 towards Lovelock and proceed 28 miles to Exit 105; take frontage road (Business 95B) about 1.5 miles; turn left onto Main St.; go one block and turn left onto Western Ave (SR854).; proceed west 1 mile and turn north on Sand Hill Ave.; proceed 1.5 miles and turn west on Pitt Rd. (SR 399); proceed for 11.9 miles to dirt road; turn right onto dirt road; proceed about 0.6 miles and bear left; proceed generally NW for about 6.9 miles.
Vernon was the commercial hub of the area for about five years beginning in 1905; about 300 people lived here. In the 1920's, most of the buildings were hauled off to Tunnel. (Paher)
|POST OFFICE||October 31, 1906 - July 31, 1918|
|NEWSPAPER||Vernon Miner, Vernon Review, Seven Troughs Miner|
There isn't much left of Vernon except the old jail and lots of scattered debris. Seems like the jail is in worse shape than ever and one of the walls have a pronounced lean to it now. There are some more ruins up the canyon near the Portland Mine.