|Awakening District (Humboldt Co.)
(including Awakening, Austin-Jumbo Mine, Daveytown)
We Visited: 4/16/2016
Directions: Daveytown: Take US 95 North from Winnemucca 11 miles to Sand Pass Rd.; Stay on Sand Pass Road for 20.6 miles to Daveytown. Awakening: Head east from Daveytown on local roads, following road generally west and then south for about 3.7 miles to the site of Awakening. Austin Jumbo Mine: From Daveytown, take Sand Pass Rd. North for 3.4 miles; turn left on dirt road and head west for about 5.7 miles.
From Winnemucca: 31 miles (Daveytown) 40.7 miles (Jumbo Mine)
Awakening, Daveytown, and the Austin-Jumbo mine all redirect here.
The Alabama Mine was discovered in 1908 which began mining activity in this area. It was discovered by a Mr. Murray Scott; it was operated by a Mr. Barber from 1911 to 1933 when it was sold to B.L. Davis, who successfully operated the mine through the end of WWII. Around 1911 a small camp called Awakening formed almost a mile southeast of the mine. It contained a few stores, and eventually was the location of some mills.
TO OPEN MILL
Austin Jumbo Mine
Early in 1935 the Austin Jumbo Mine was discovered by J.C. Stagg and Clyde Taylor by dry panning up the draw to the outcrop. It was sold to George Austin and Associates this same year for $10,000 with $500 down. Austin equipped the mine with a small amalgamation mill and paid for the property and equipment with direct shipping gold. In May, 1937, ex-president Herbert Hoover visited the property and cause nationwide publicity to the mine when he stated he was very favorably impressed with the mine. A lease was granted to J.K. Wadley of Texarkana, Arkansas, and H.L. Hunt of Tyler, Texas, It was a 35 year lease, 20% royalty, $100,000 per year minimum royalty, $250,000 paid down, and an end price of $10,000,000. Mining was underground and small scale to, reportedly, 1940 or 1941. After World War II Austin leased the mine to a group in Salt Lake City, Utah, consisting of Leland Flint, Ken Garff, and others. Under the supervision of a mining engineer by the name of Russell a 500 ton per day open pit operation was inaugurated. The mine operated about nine months but eventually closed due to the $96,000 per year payment to Austin. A Mr. Jim Flowers of Cane Springs, Nevada lives near the property and has been hand picking and panning about an ounce or two per day out of exposed high grade streaks.
In 1935 Austin and Associates equipped the mine with a small amalgamation mill. In 1936 a 30 ton amalgamation-concentration mill was erected. When the writer visited the property in June of 1937, the mill was treating 38 tons of ore per day averaging $30 per ton and was employing an average of 15 men.
Faithful reader Mr. Hopson provided this link to a story in the Elko newspaper about Mr. Austin and his mine.
A mill and other buildings were also located at nearby Daveytown, three miles to the east. A five stamp amalgamation mill here treated about 10,000 tons of ore from the Alabama mine and other nearby mines.
CHURCH TIMBERS TO BE USED FOR MINE STRUCTURES
While you'll have to use your imagination to visualize what was at Daveytown and Awakening, the Austin-Jumbo mine is filled with luscious ruins of all kinds. The road to Daveytown is an easy, smooth drive; not so much getting to the Alabama Mine and the Awakening site. Better have a little clearance and traction available. There are some mill foundations at both Daveytown and Awakening. The Jumbo mine is a wide, smooth road all the way.