Take it easy
  Seven Troughs
MAP

40° 26' 48"N, 118° 47' 40"W - SEVEN TROUGHS quad

VISITED

We Visited: 2/15/2002
We Visited: March 8, 2014
Our Breakfast:
Eggs at La Casita in Lovelock
Our Dinner : Bacon-wrapped sausages in a gravel pit somewhere.

DIRECTIONS

Directions:

From Fallon: Take US 95 north for 32.9 miles; turn east onto I80 towards Lovelock and proceed 28 miles to Exit 105; take frontage road (Business 95B) about 1.5 miles; turn left onto Main St.; go one block and turn left onto Western Ave (SR854).; proceed west 1 mile and turn north on Sand Hill Ave.; proceed 1.5 miles and turn west on Pitt Rd. (SR 399); proceed for 11.9 miles to dirt road; turn right onto dirt road; proceed generally north on Seven Troughs Rd for 16 miles.

WHAT WAS

Seven Troughs produced almost two millions dollars in gold between 1908 and 1921. The town was formed shortly after discoveries in the area in 1907. Sitting in a narrow canyon, over 300 people made Seven Troughs their home, and the town had a water system, power, and its own school district. Production at the 50-ton mill continued up until about 1918. (Paher)

Situated near the location of the area's first strike, Seven Troughs was named after seven water troughs built in 1894 by sheepman Frank Ward. Both Vernon and Mazuma were developed first. By March 1907 town lots were priced up to $500 a piece. By May local newspapers advised that Seven Troughs could boast of a boarding house feeding 75 works every meal (costing $32 a month) a saloon with four more being built. Horse-drawn stages ran between Seven Troughs and Lovelock, leaving the former at 6:30 every morning and leaving the latter at 7:00 every morning. The fare was $5.00 and $8.00 for a round trip ticket. ($122 and $200 in 2012 dollars, respectively)

The Kindergarten Mill was the first mill to be built in the area during the winter of 1907-08. It ceased operation during the winter of 1915-16. A couple of years later activity at the site had declined enough to where the post office pulled up stakes.

 

POST OFFICE July 18, 1907 - September 15, 1918
NEWSPAPER None
WHAT IS

Some mill foundations remain, scattered debris, and some pits where the townsite used to be. The remains of a lot of mill and mining activity. What I find most amazing about this site is that so much is gone.

 
Photographs | Return to Previous Document | HOME